Post by colins on Mar 14, 2016 12:31:33 GMT
Well it's time for you all to get your arranging heads on, I'm starting the build for the 2016 prize, so let the fun begin. Oh and the song that you have to 'arrange' the traditional tune Blackwaterside.
The guitar will be a White Spruce/Gonzalo Alves OOO 12 fret with a 15" lower bout and 632mm scale length. Fingerboard and bridge will be Ziricote and the neck slot head laminated curly sycamore.
White Spruce is in my opinion the best of the American Spruces, used a lot by high end US and Canadian builders like Mario Proulx, think Adirondack with a sweeter voice. Gonzalo Alves (Astronium fraxinifolium) is a tropical hardwood from Brazil, it is considered a great alternative to Brazilian Rosewood and was used extensively by Martin in the 19th century. Both of these woods were sourced from Grant Goltz.
This is the wood that will be used.
This is the model of guitar for which you'll be competing, different woods of course.
Guitar competition rules
1. The competition is for a new arrangement and performance of 'Blackwaterside' and is open to all registered forum members.
2. The piece can be either be solo guitar or vocal accompanied by a guitar and can be a video or audio entry, no multi-tracking.
3. One entry per person.
4. The competition will be judged by Colin Symonds, Dave White and James Daubney, whose decision will be final.
5. The prize for the winner will be a White Spruce/Gonzalo Alves OOO 12-fret guitar built by Colin Symonds.
6. A condition of entry is that the winner agrees to buy a specified Hiscox case.
7. The competition will run for the period of the build thread of the guitar and will close when the finished guitar is posted.
8. All entries to be posted in this thread. There will be a separate thread to post comments on the entries and of course a build thread so you can watch it coming together.
9. Geordie Reggae versions are allowed.
When posting an entry, please tell us as much as you can about the piece, tuning, influence etc